Breakfast: Breakfast is, as they say, the most important meal of the day. You need to have a large, balanced breakfast to give you energy to revive you in the morning after your body has been deprived of food for 8+ hours while you slept the night before. You want to eat most of your carbs early in the day, as carbs give you energy. Some healthy breakfast options are as follows:
· 2 whole eggs, scrambled, with onions, garlic, 1 Tablespoon reduced fat cheese, Oregano, Cilantro, green chile, bell peppers, tomatoes or any mixture of vegetables that you enjoy in eggs.
· A piece of whole wheat toast with light butter spread, Laughing Cow 35 Calorie cheese spread, peanut butter and bananas, jam, etc.
· Fruit! Any kind of fruit you like. Apples, bananas, pears, oranges, etc.
· Oatmeal! Try to go for natural oats that you make into homemade oatmeal as opposed to the packaged kind, but if you can find the lower sugar premade oatmeal, that is fine.
· Cream of wheat.
· A protein shake - try Jillian Michaels’ Whey Protein! It is $15 for a decently sized jar at Albertson’s.
· 2-3 pieces of turkey bacon.
· A bowl of healthy cereal (try whole grain Cheerios, Honey Bunches of Oats, or any of the Special K cereals)
· And you can mix and match all of these!
Lunch: Lunch is where you want to start bringing in more protein and less carbs. Also, more fruits and vegetables. You’ll want to eat it a few hours after you eat breakfast, listen to your body! When you’re hungry, eat! Healthy lunch options are:
· Any type of salad (go easy on the dressing, though. Dressing is where most of your fat/calories are.)
· A healthy sandwich! Whole wheat bread with turkey or chicken, avocado, spinach, sprouts, whole grain mustard, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, etc.
· Any kind of fruits and vegetables!
· A protein shake - I wouldn’t recommend having protein shakes for every meal though.
· Lean Turkey meatballs.
· Lean Turkey meatloaf.
Dinner: Dinner is where you should limit your carbs and focus on the protein and fat. Good fat, of course! Dinner options include most of the lunch options listed above. Eat dinner around 5 or 6 o’clock, as you’re going to want to stop eating around 8 PM/2 hours before you go to bed.
Snacks: You need to eat snacks throughout the day when you’re hungry, but not hungry enough for a meals. Healthy snacks include:
· Almonds, cashews, walnuts, any kind of nuts! But limit yourself to a handful, they have a lot of fat!
· String cheese.
· Protein bars.
· Special K bars.
· Popcorn! Popcorn is actually a very low-calorie snack, though make sure you don’t have too much butter on it.
· A piece of whole grain toast.
· Each meal should be 400-600 calories. Snacks should be 100-200 calories.
· You need to eat more than 1200 calories a day to keep your body from going into starvation mode. When exercising, you need to eat even more because you’re burning calories with your workouts.
· Your BMR (basic metabolic rate) is how many calories your body burns by just existing. You can calculate it here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ So for example, my body burns around 1300 calories by just existing. If I’m eating 1200 calories, I’m already creating a 100 calorie deficit. You should aim to create a 500 calorie deficit a day. It takes 3500 calories to lose a pound. If you have a 500 calorie deficit a day, 500 X 7 is 3500, and you will lose a pound a week!
· Healthy weight loss is generally 1-3 pounds a week.
· Do not eat the following: Soda (diet or otherwise), fast food, greasy food, processed food. Try to eat as clean as possible - which means natural, straight from the ground or animal food.
· Have a splurge day once or twice a month! Eat whatever you want! If you don’t, you’ll go crazy!
Here is a shopping list to help you out:
· To burn fat, you must do cardio. Cardio is anything that gets your heart rate up. Running, elliptical, treadmill, aerobics, jumping jacks, etc. However, to burn MORE fat, you need muscle. To get muscle, you have to tone - strength and weight training.
· Do cardio 5 days a week, toning/strength training 3 days a week. Try to do everything for 30 minutes to an hour. And here are 50 Bodyweight Exercises you can do anywhere!
· I personally swear by Insanity. If you would like to purchase it, do it here on my Beachbody site: http://beachbodycoach.com/xxmoonwalker
o I recommend starting with Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred, and working your way up to Insanity.
· Know your limits! Do not kill yourself working out and don’t injure yourself!
· Being sore is good, but you need at least one day of rest a week.
· Don’t eat for an hour before you work out, and after a workout, have a protein packed snack!
WATER WATER WATER! This is a general rule for everything. You need at least 8 cups of water a day. This will help you so much! DRINK LOTS OF WATER!
Here is a chart to help you out with exercise and how much you can burn with various activities: